Whenever we have to develop an Android application, the programming language popups in mind is java. And the reason behind opting java is because it has been used in a huge number of android applications. Even though Kotlin is considered as the principal language for android app development, android still supports java.
As per Google’s report 2017, they announced Kotlin as a new official language for Android programming. Since then, there’s been constant uncertainty and dilemma for the android app development company toward its development process. And the problem they are struggling with is simple, i.e. what should they use Java or Kotlin to build android applications? Well if you are looking for the solution to your predicament, you are in the right place. To get the solution, let’s understand the kotlin and its advantages? And java and its advantages?
What is Java?
Sun Microsystems originally developed Java as a project-oriented programming language. It is under the influence of Oracle in the present era. Java has taken a seat in the android development community for more than two decades. Playing an important role in developing various android applications. Yes, it’s a fact that java had an overwhelming reputation. But the requirement for an advanced programming language that would fill the holes and shortcomings left by Java. And this made it possible for Kotlin to take the lead in the android development process.
Advantages of Java
- Java is a fairly basic language and easy to understand. The curve for learning is very simple and quick.
- Java is the go-to-language of many developers to build cross-platform applications. It also works very well in native applications.
- Compact and lightweight applications built on Java contribute to improved user experience.
- The assembly and management of larger tasks are simpler and faster, credit is given to the rapid assembly of Gradle.
- Java helps you to make more coding in less time thanks to its fast build process. Understanding and learning are more simple.
- Java can run it in a browser-window or virtual machine. It is really useful when the code is reused and the program is modified.
- Android relies on Java very much. There are several Java libraries on the Android SDK.
What is kotlin?
Kotlin programmers from JetBrains (creators of integrated development environments) were designed to upgrade Java mobile development by incorporating advanced features. Google itself said goodbye to Java and said hello to Kotlin on Android internally.
Advantages of kotlin
- In android growth, Kotlin has a tight grip. Therefore it is often used in Backend projects such as Spring 5.
- Thanks to its scripting capacity, Kotlin can be used directly in Gradle construct scripts.
- It’s easy to convert Java to Kotlin. It can be done by simply setting up the Kotlin plugin, applying it to Gradle build files and choosing “convert.”
- Kotlin is embracing new programming principles. These include representatives, functions for higher orders, extension features and much more to help clean APIs.
- Kotlin offers null security assistance incorporated with an ultimate lifesaver. Particularly with android.
- In contrast to Java, Kotlin is much more descriptive and succinct. This ensures that very little space remains for mistakes.
- New modules that can work together with the current Java code can be written in Kotlin. The advantage is that JVM, Java frameworks and libraries are compliant with this. This can be combined easily with or with Maven Construction Systems.
Java or kotlin: which you should consider and why?
When comparing these two programming languages in terms of results, there is no observable and clear distinction between them. But the discussion on’ Kotlin vs Java’ continues. Kotlin is known to generate a byte code similar to Java byte code., these two are also known for acting similarly. The situation gets different when it comes to partial and full builds.
In the case of complete builds, Java is the fastest programming language. The compilation pace is 13% faster than in Kotlin. Kotlin takes the lead in the case of gradual collection. One might say, Kotlin lags behind Java in cleaning complete builds, but exceeds Java in incremental builds.
The first version of Java was released twenty years ago. The language is familiar to everyone else. Kotlin is a modern language that embraces all the information gained in the last few years in terms of language design. It concentrates on specific roles.
Direct response on’ Kotlin vs. Java–Who’s better’ is yet sought by developers? However, although these two are in several ways close, it is easier to declare any one of them the winner.
Kotlin was deliberately developed to be better than Java, but JetBrains didn’t rewrite its IDEs in a new language. You may start to collaborate with Kotlin in a Java or Android existing project and it all will work out very well. As Kotlin runs the JVM and compiles Javan Bytecode.
Kotlin: A better java in 2020?
While Kotlin offers many advantages, whereas Java still has some drawbacks. If you let your team experiment with Kotlin, note that it isn’t always exciting to move to a new language for developers who have already found the best tools and techniques for them.
At least a month you will have to give your team to familiarize yourself with Kotlin and maybe certain team members do not match your Kotlin project on time. You do have to note that Java doesn’t go anywhere and remains important for the development of the Android app.
But it makes sense for you to try Kotlin if you are an early beginner looking for a new challenge, particularly if you want to work in creative startup projects. However, being a mobile app development company, ask your developers, to test Kotlin for practical benefits one moves at a time.