Are you also confused between React Native and Flutter for your cross-platform app development? Do you want to know which tech stack gives the fastest time to market? If yes, then you are in the right place.
First, Let’s know everything about React Native
Let’s look at the React Native Market share by category:
About React Native
React Native is a technology that was developed by Facebook in the year 2015. It is an open-source platform that supports both IOS as well as Android and also has the ability to expand to upcoming platforms too. Also, React Native has a lot of reasons to use it for your mobile app development. It is budget-friendly, you can reuse the code, it is UI focused, use less memory and many others!
React Native Development: Merits
- React Native is a cost-effective solution! – Yes! You heard it right, React Native helps to reduce the value of the app of the development. It works with all the major platforms, including ios and Android. So developers don’t need to use separate codes.
- Hot Reloading– Hot Reloading is one of the most amazing features that help developers to keep the app running while implementing new version and tweaking the UI.
React Native Development: Demerits
- Less smooth navigation– The significant drawback of react native is that it provides less smooth navigation and still in its beta phase.
- Low security– As we all are aware of the fact that React Native is an open-source framework that makes apps less secure. If you are creating apps like banking and financial, then, I would suggest not to choose React Native.
- Takes more time– Another major drawback of react native is that it takes a lot of time to initialize
Let’s know about Flutter
- Flutter– Currently, the most popular cross-platform alternative to React Native is only Flutter, which can compete with the React framework. It was developed and created by Google in the year 2017. It is also an open-source platform that supports all the major platforms, including IOS, Android, and windows.
- The popularity of Flutter is Rising- The demand for Flutter is rising, and numerous companies and startups are embracing this cross-platform technology. This new software development kit has started to make some waves in the market. Flutter developers are in demand due to its reusability of the codes and host of other reasons. However, this is still new in the market, and so for you and other developers too.
Popular Apps made with Flutter-
- Open-source- Flutter is an open-source framework that is free to use. It allows having extensive documentation and comprehensive community support. If developers face any issues, then they can quickly get help from the large community of developers.
- Cost-effective- As we have earlier mentioned, Flutter is cross-platform, you can use the same code base for your ios as well as android apps. It helps to save your money as well as your time.
- Simple and fast- Flutter apps provide smooth and fast services without any hanging or cutting while scrolling. Also, it is easy to set up and start coding on low-end machines.
- Need continuous support- Since Flutter is so new and still in the process of growing and developing. So, it requires constant help through the maintenance of scripts as CI platforms don’t support Flutter.
- Web browser does not support Flutter- Another major drawback of Flutter is that it is not helped by the web browser. It is only supported by ios and Android.
- Limited TV support- Flutter doesn’t work smoothly on Apple TV or Android TV. So, if you are wondering to build an app with Flutter for android tv or IOS TV, then the answer is no.
Comparison between Flutter & React Native
Based on Popularity & Adoption Check–
Well, if we compared these two cross-platform frameworks, then React Native is the popular choice of developers as Flutter is still quite new. The popularity of React Native is going enormous, and there are so many Fortune 500 companies who are leveraging this cross-platform framework. The popular name of companies and startups that are using React Native are Facebook, Pinterest, Tesla, Skype, Instagram, Bloomberg, Uber, Walmart, and many more. The statistics of React Native reveal that thousand of contributors have committed 16,000 times in 72 branches with over 300 releases, as per Github.
According to the Survey 2018, it suggests that React Native is the framework that most developers want to work with if they do not already. As such, it’s no wonder that so many developers are keen to work with React Native.
Based on UI
React Native uses the native component of Android and iOS, and it uses third party libraries for this. React Native has external UI kits, and it also supports components for iOS app UI design. Therefore developers can choose elements depending on the needs. While Flutter has its UI rendering components named Widgets for UI design, and are available for both Android and iOS. Since the flutter framework has a layered architecture, therefore, UI designed with Flutter is flexible. Developers can easily customize the widgets.
Based on Programming Language
On the other hand, Flutter uses Dart for cross-platform app development. In 2011, Google launched Dart, a newly introduced and entirely different programming language in 2011. Dart is not popular among developers, and thus developers rarely use it.
Based on Performance
Based on Time Taking for App Development
React Native takes less time to develop mobile apps as it offers ready-to-use components that accelerate the development project. It has a large number of IDEs & tools that support React Native. Additionally, it is also easy to create an engaging UI quickly.
In this regard, Flutter is also made the development projects faster, and it’s easy to set up and configure. When compared to React Native, it doesn’t have the kind of tooling support as the React framework has. And it’s comparatively new in the market.
Based on Stability
The competition looks stiff. React Native has a large no. of community support. Its consistency and reliability have made it popular since inception. The newly launched Flutter beta 2 version offers some impressive features for the developers. React Native is already established and known for its amazing features and reliability in the market, where Flutter is still struggling to hit the mark in the industry.
Well, it is quite difficult to take one name as the winner because both React Native and Flutter have their pros and cons. But, still, if I need to take one name, then React Native came out as the winner in this match because React Native has been in the industry for a long time. However, Flutter is also in the race of cross-platform mobile app development and gave fierce competition to React Native. And, no doubt, as a new entrance, Flutter is a powerful new mobile app development kit. Undeniably, Flutter has a long way to go as it has impressive capabilities in creating beautiful apps.