In a technological world where usage of smartphones and tablets is rising exponentially, the prospects to make a name for your brand or yourself, and definitely a ton of money, by your app are huge. Whether you’re building for Android, iOS, Windows or Blackberry, you need to consider some of the very essentials factors like bug-free coding, captivating app designs, targeted and proper marketing strategies, design strategies to develop apps etc. to make your app a big hit. And, once you have the basic idea of your new app and have done in-depth analysis of the user base you are targeting, the next most important step on your app journey is – Design process.
Design of an app has the capability to make your app either a big hit or leave it untouched in the ocean of app store that is full of millions and billions of apps.
“Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you dig deeper, it’s really how it works.”
There is one popular believe that designing teams’ job end when they handover their app designs to the respective teams. But, now everyone knows that the team isn’t just accountable for the look and feel of the product, they are also responsible for the communication between the product and its audiences. That’s why it’s essential to have proper interaction of UI/UX designer right from the ideation till launch with the development team to end the problems that their end-users may encounter due to lack of proper UI/UX design and make it a big hit. Hence, whether you are helping your end-users in making their tasks easy or providing them information or entertainment, proper design strategy and its right implementation is a crucial aspect of the app development process. Let’s take a look into steps to follow while making a proper strategy of the design process:
1. Assessment of the tasks
You can’t make correct designing strategy of your app until you properly evaluate your tasks and set your designing teams goals. Proper assessment is always important despite of the size of the project. Whether you are given a design brief, a technical summary or just pointers that’s yet to be discussed over email – you need to properly evaluate your tasks before working on it. And, for proper evaluation you need to:
1. Understand the details like – What is the purpose of your app? What its business goal is – Is it providing any extra revenue channels, for brand identify or simply a mobile version of one’s web product?
2. Analyze your audience – through in-depth analysis of the product’s audience, you can save a lot of errors as well as boost your chances of engaging your audience.
3. Compose use cases – It will let you explore the correct way of the usage of your apps, which in turn, will uncover a myriad of essential things, which will help you design an exceptional application in the future.
By proper evaluation of your app, you can come up with the goals for the design team, so that they can focus their efforts on the requirements.
2. Explore interface mechanics
It’s always recommended to consider each and every factor that may help you in making your app successful and help you meet the needs of your end-users more effectively. Let’s take a look at some crucial factors:
1. Look at popular designing networks like Instagram, Pinterest, Scoutzie, Dribbble, and Behance – these sites will help you compare products and come up with some efficient outcomes.
2. Stay updated on design related articles and concepts – Popular design tech blogs often share updated information about new mobile concepts and interesting thoughts of the industry experts.
3. Explore other devices and platforms – Even if you only work in iOS, it’s better to take advantage of the distinct features of other platforms as well like Android, Windows, Blackberry or even MeeGo.
Frequent analysis and search will let you come up with interesting mechanics, which could help in designing and development process and meet the requirements.
3. a) Proper Analysis to understand your end-users and competitors
Competitive analysis is a critical part of your designing plan. With this evaluation, you can establish what makes your design unique and what your end-users want. The internet offers a great number of opportunities through:
- Blog Content
- App Store
And, even by giving competitive products a try, you can do a proper evaluation and learn from their mistakes. The above-mentioned resources will let you understand how you can capture market share with your enhanced app. Why not spend a few hours studying them.
3. b) Assemble your findings
Finally, you will certainly end up with a heap of blogs, articles, sites, photos, screenshots and user reviews of your competitors’ project. Now, next and most importantly combine all your findings and research to figure out how you could use the most effective and demanding mechanics and interfaces, ideas and concepts. While doing this, don’t forget to pay attention on the users reviews and feedbacks on the similar Don’t just design your interface because it “looks cool” to you. Don’t forget, your end users are going to use your app, not you. While developing your app spend time to compare if your designs – comply with the platform’s guidelines or not, meeting the business objectives and fulfilling many other minor specifics. Your goal should be to make the most captivating and well-functioning product ever known and all your targeted users should be able to use it to its full potential.
4. Make it for your Users, Not for Yourself
Don’t just design your interface because it “looks cool” to you. Don’t forget, your end users are going to use your app, not you. While developing your app spend time to compare if your designs – comply with the platform’s guidelines or not, meeting the business objectives and fulfilling many other minor specifics. Your goal should be to make the most captivating and well-functioning product ever known and all your targeted users should be able to use it to its full potential.
5. Conduct Iterative Testing of the Prototype and the product
To maximize the user experience, it’s essential to test your prototypes and product. It’s always recommended to spend more time and resources for testing. For proper and effective testing you can begin with the rough mock-up and ensure that all stakeholders approve of the basic approach to the app’s design. And, to identify bugs and for navigational and other problems allow end-user tests of the prototype on the actual device.
The creative professionals at Parangat have in-depth knowledge and years of experience in designing intuitive and easy-to-use apps. Our highly proficient team of UI/UX designers have built apps for all the major mobile platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, and BlackBerry etc. and has helped our clients by advising them — what’s the best approach to make their project successful and how to maximize profit.