Have you’ve already developed the code for iOS and want to create branch out to Android for the next version of your app? – Most developers agree that rewriting the code from scratch can present you with more work than is actually required. Transliterate one language into the other hasn’t proved to be time efficient always but sometimes. Let’s take a look at both the sides of the coin –Write the Code from Scratch or Re-write?
Here’re a few reasons that justify Writing the Code from scratch:
1) Needed changes can’t be made by using the existing code base.
2) It’s difficult to get the existing code to compile, or we can’t even find the existing code.
3) It becomes difficult for developers to figure out how it works.
4) Its architecture or underlying infrastructure changes gradually and dramatically.
5) Sometimes, it becomes so bug-ridden to the requirements that it is completely worthless.
6) It can prove to be good for just doing it for fun or to exercise our development skills.
7) Intellectual Property or licensing challenges make it compulsory to stop using someone else’s code.
8) When the problem becomes too complex for the original language.
9) When developers are uncomfortable to take the responsibility for the existing code base.
Here’re a few reasons that justify avoiding Writing the Code from Scratch:
1) Today nobody knows that what all features are of the Legacy Code, or what requirements it is supposed to fulfill.
2) And, no tests are available to justify that the new code is functionally equivalent to Legacy Code.
3) If we can use the existing code then there are many more important things we can do apart from just re-writing the code that already works. As Re-writing the code will not Re-invent the Wheel.
4) Avoid re-writing the code because, usually it takes longer than expected and usually re-writes often do, which result into customers moving to other products/vendors.
5) We also do have the option to re-write the code a bit at a time rather than writing it from the scratch.
6) And, of course, we can’t guarantee that the new team will do a better job than the original team did.
Whether to write the code from scratch or re-write the code, it all depends on the requirements. Here at Parangat, our team does both they re-write the code and write the code – everything depends on the project requirements. We work with our clients to deliver robust, high-performance and award-winning web and mobile solutions and services. Whether you need a web or mobility solutions, our dedicated team of web and mobility experts, who come up with deep industry knowledge and passion for technology help you make your vision a reality. Our methodologies and industry expertise in web and mobile space enable us become the top web and mobile development agency and help brands gain excellence, increase efficiency and maximize profit.
Our expertise in web and mobile technology and proficient team coupled with capability in integrating people, processes and products enable us to deliver customized, robust, avant-garde and cost-effective mobility solutions tailored to our clients business needs. Our adept team of developers develop custom-made and integrated web and mobile solutions by understanding your requirements and recommending the right solution to it. Our transparent processes and defined methodologies have been modernized and refined to deliver smooth, bespoke and user-engaging web and mobile solutions, which in turn, maximizes efficiency and lowers cost.
Want to get a mobile solution for your business? Contact us or drop us a line on [email protected] to get started.
In a technological world where usage of smartphones and tablets is rising exponentially, the prospects to make a name for your brand or yourself, and definitely a ton of money, by your app are huge. Whether you’re building for Android, iOS, Windows or Blackberry, you need to consider some of the very essentials factors like bug-free coding, captivating app designs, targeted and proper marketing strategies, design strategies to develop apps etc. to make your app a big hit. And, once you have the basic idea of your new app and have done in-depth analysis of the user base you are targeting, the next most important step on your app journey is – Design process.
Design of an app has the capability to make your app either a big hit or leave it untouched in the ocean of app store that is full of millions and billions of apps.
“Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you dig deeper, it’s really how it works.”
– Steve Jobs
There is one popular believe that designing teams’ job end when they handover their app designs to the respective teams. But, now everyone knows that the team isn’t just accountable for the look and feel of the product, they are also responsible for the communication between the product and its audiences. That’s why it’s essential to have proper interaction of UI/UX designer right from the ideation till launch with the development team to end the problems that their end-users may encounter due to lack of proper UI/UX design and make it a big hit. Hence, whether you are helping your end-users in making their tasks easy or providing them information or entertainment, proper design strategy and its right implementation is a crucial aspect of the app development process. Let’s take a look into steps to follow while making a proper strategy of the design process:
1. Assessment of the tasks
You can’t make correct designing strategy of your app until you properly evaluate your tasks and set your designing teams goals. Proper assessment is always important despite of the size of the project. Whether you are given a design brief, a technical summary or just pointers that’s yet to be discussed over email – you need to properly evaluate your tasks before working on it. And, for proper evaluation you need to:
1. Understand the details like – What is the purpose of your app? What its business goal is – Is it providing any extra revenue channels, for brand identify or simply a mobile version of one’s web product?
2. Analyze your audience – through in-depth analysis of the product’s audience, you can save a lot of errors as well as boost your chances of engaging your audience.
3. Compose use cases – It will let you explore the correct way of the usage of your apps, which in turn, will uncover a myriad of essential things, which will help you design an exceptional application in the future.
By proper evaluation of your app, you can come up with the goals for the design team, so that they can focus their efforts on the requirements.
2. Explore interface mechanics
It’s always recommended to consider each and every factor that may help you in making your app successful and help you meet the needs of your end-users more effectively. Let’s take a look at some crucial factors:
1. Look at popular designing networks like Instagram, Pinterest, Scoutzie, Dribbble, and Behance – these sites will help you compare products and come up with some efficient outcomes.
2. Stay updated on design related articles and concepts – Popular design tech blogs often share updated information about new mobile concepts and interesting thoughts of the industry experts.
3. Explore other devices and platforms – Even if you only work in iOS, it’s better to take advantage of the distinct features of other platforms as well like Android, Windows, Blackberry or even MeeGo.
Frequent analysis and search will let you come up with interesting mechanics, which could help in designing and development process and meet the requirements.
3. a) Proper Analysis to understand your end-users and competitors
Competitive analysis is a critical part of your designing plan. With this evaluation, you can establish what makes your design unique and what your end-users want. The internet offers a great number of opportunities through:
And, even by giving competitive products a try, you can do a proper evaluation and learn from their mistakes. The above-mentioned resources will let you understand how you can capture market share with your enhanced app. Why not spend a few hours studying them.
3. b) Assemble your findings
Finally, you will certainly end up with a heap of blogs, articles, sites, photos, screenshots and user reviews of your competitors’ project. Now, next and most importantly combine all your findings and research to figure out how you could use the most effective and demanding mechanics and interfaces, ideas and concepts. While doing this, don’t forget to pay attention on the users reviews and feedbacks on the similar Don’t just design your interface because it “looks cool” to you. Don’t forget, your end users are going to use your app, not you. While developing your app spend time to compare if your designs – comply with the platform’s guidelines or not, meeting the business objectives and fulfilling many other minor specifics. Your goal should be to make the most captivating and well-functioning product ever known and all your targeted users should be able to use it to its full potential.
4. Make it for your Users, Not for Yourself
Don’t just design your interface because it “looks cool” to you. Don’t forget, your end users are going to use your app, not you. While developing your app spend time to compare if your designs – comply with the platform’s guidelines or not, meeting the business objectives and fulfilling many other minor specifics. Your goal should be to make the most captivating and well-functioning product ever known and all your targeted users should be able to use it to its full potential.
5. Conduct Iterative Testing of the Prototype and the product
To maximize the user experience, it’s essential to test your prototypes and product. It’s always recommended to spend more time and resources for testing. For proper and effective testing you can begin with the rough mock-up and ensure that all stakeholders approve of the basic approach to the app’s design. And, to identify bugs and for navigational and other problems allow end-user tests of the prototype on the actual device.
The creative professionals at Parangat have in-depth knowledge and years of experience in designing intuitive and easy-to-use apps. Our highly proficient team of UI/UX designers have built apps for all the major mobile platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, and BlackBerry etc. and has helped our clients by advising them — what’s the best approach to make their project successful and how to maximize profit.
For more information on our team and our work, or if you want to get an app developed for your business, contact us.