Have you’ve already developed the code for iOS and want to create branch out to Android for the next version of your app? – Most developers agree that rewriting the code from scratch can present you with more work than is actually required. Transliterate one language into the other hasn’t proved to be time efficient always but sometimes. Let’s take a look at both the sides of the coin –Write the Code from Scratch or Re-write?
Here’re a few reasons that justify Writing the Code from scratch:
1) Needed changes can’t be made by using the existing code base.
2) It’s difficult to get the existing code to compile, or we can’t even find the existing code.
3) It becomes difficult for developers to figure out how it works.
4) Its architecture or underlying infrastructure changes gradually and dramatically.
5) Sometimes, it becomes so bug-ridden to the requirements that it is completely worthless.
6) It can prove to be good for just doing it for fun or to exercise our development skills.
7) Intellectual Property or licensing challenges make it compulsory to stop using someone else’s code.
8) When the problem becomes too complex for the original language.
9) When developers are uncomfortable to take the responsibility for the existing code base.
Here’re a few reasons that justify avoiding Writing the Code from Scratch:
1) Today nobody knows that what all features are of the Legacy Code, or what requirements it is supposed to fulfill.
2) And, no tests are available to justify that the new code is functionally equivalent to Legacy Code.
3) If we can use the existing code then there are many more important things we can do apart from just re-writing the code that already works. As Re-writing the code will not Re-invent the Wheel.
4) Avoid re-writing the code because, usually it takes longer than expected and usually re-writes often do, which result into customers moving to other products/vendors.
5) We also do have the option to re-write the code a bit at a time rather than writing it from the scratch.
6) And, of course, we can’t guarantee that the new team will do a better job than the original team did.
Whether to write the code from scratch or re-write the code, it all depends on the requirements. Here at Parangat, our team does both they re-write the code and write the code – everything depends on the project requirements. We work with our clients to deliver robust, high-performance and award-winning web and mobile solutions and services. Whether you need a web or mobility solutions, our dedicated team of web and mobility experts, who come up with deep industry knowledge and passion for technology help you make your vision a reality. Our methodologies and industry expertise in web and mobile space enable us become the top web and mobile development agency and help brands gain excellence, increase efficiency and maximize profit.
Our expertise in web and mobile technology and proficient team coupled with capability in integrating people, processes and products enable us to deliver customized, robust, avant-garde and cost-effective mobility solutions tailored to our clients business needs. Our adept team of developers develop custom-made and integrated web and mobile solutions by understanding your requirements and recommending the right solution to it. Our transparent processes and defined methodologies have been modernized and refined to deliver smooth, bespoke and user-engaging web and mobile solutions, which in turn, maximizes efficiency and lowers cost.